Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Scene Report: Des Moines Derby Dames vs. Old Capital City Roller Girls by Squirrel Ex Machina

Note: Squirrel Ex Machina is the bench coach of the Des Moines Derby Dames. She is the author of this piece. 
 
Bout day. I wish that people could see all that goes on behind the scenes to make these things work. It really is amazing. With a bout at 7pm, volunteers, emcees and team members converge on our venue at 10 am to begin preparation. The track is measures out, taped, lights laid and secured. Hundreds of chairs are put out, organized and positioned. Sound checks, safety check, time checks. It’s like a beehive preparing for battle. Everyone has a job and everyone is heads down working to get things done.
 
I can feel it tonight. The energy is unmistakable. We’ve played Old Capitol once before (our first game) and we’ve been working our asses off for two months to step up our game. I don’t know if they realize that we’re gonna give them a run for their money.
 
Seven O’clock hits.
The crowd is pumped.
The teams are ready.
The smell of stale sweat and beer fill the air.
Game on bitches!
 
Between whistle blows and shouting teams, I’m running the bench better that ever. I know my team, I know their skills and I know when to put them out. Jam after jam the pressure builds but I’ve got this down. People don’t realize the stress of running a bench. Players don’t just magically appear on the track for each jam. No! Between each jam, I’ve got 30 seconds to assess the situation. 30 seconds to see who is in the penalty box, who needs a break, who the other team is putting out. 30 seconds to plan how we’re going to win every jam. Sometimes it’s focusing on defense and tossing out my biggest hardest hitters, sometimes is all about points and getting out my faster jammers with good control blockers. Those 30 seconds come and go and tonight I’ve got it down.
 
The game is tight we lead then they lead. At half time, they are ahead but we can catch up if we dig dig dig in the last half. “Everyone take a deep breath,” I tell my players in the locker room. “Imagine you’re on a beach.” Ok, it’s kinda hippie bullshit but we need to keep clear headed and goal focused. “Ok, let’s talk about the game.” The room explodes into conversation. Everything from track communication and wall building to strategy moving forward. We can win this one.
 
Almost.
 
We lost but man it felt like a win. My team was ON and we fought till the very end. Hard hits, some injuries but a whole lotta heart got us through this bout feeling like fucking rock stars.
 
We can only get better. We can only improve. Bring it Wisconsin, because you know we’re gonna when we see you on June 5th.
 
Hug’s and Bruises,
 
Squirrel Ex Machina.

No comments:

Post a Comment