Wednesday, July 14, 2010

IRDD Covergirl for July/August: Mizz LolliPopYa of the Mid Iowa Rollers

Real Name: Caroline Strait
Derby Name: Mizz LolliPopYa
Team: Mid Iowa Rollers
Position: Jammer/Occasional Blocker
Age: 24
Current Town: Des Moines
High School: Des Moines North
Family: Daughters Jazmine 4, Jaida 2
 
Were you athletic growing up?: I have been involved in some sort of sport since I was in Jr High. In High School I played volleyball, basketball and ran track. In college I played basketball. Now roller derby. I also play volleyball for fun.
 
How did you get involved in Roller Derby?: When I finished playing basketball, I was trying to find something to get into. Eastside kept bugging me to come to practice. I kinda blew her off at first, then I finally agreed to come (more just to satisfy her). Been there ever since!
 
How has derby impacted your life?: I could seriously write a 10 page article on this question!! Derby is not just a sport, it's a lifestyle. It not only fills my passion for sports, but I have never had the type of friends that I do from derby. They are the best group of girls I have ever known in my life! They are a second family. We are there for each other during the bad times and there with each other through the good ones. I have met so many people. I have a bunch of friends from different teams even. It is by far the best sport I have ever been involved in!
 
What is my favorite aspect of Derby?: I love the fact that derby is extremely competitive, but then when it's over, we're all friends. We can have the closest, most intense bout. But then, we all go out after and just have a good time. I've never seen that in any other sport. At least not to that extent.
 
Least favorite: If you have that many females around each other that much, there's bound to be some sort of drama! But we always get through it!
 
What are your goals for your team this season?: It seems like this year so many of my goals have been met! I am so proud of my team this season (and every season)! I think my biggest goal is to continue to move forward and improve. My overall goal is to play derby as long as I can skate!!

As one third of MIR's Power Trio of jammers (cTAL faTAL and Fanny Firestarter rounding it out) Mizz LolliPopYa has made key contributions to the offensive side of the coin. She has also provided her share of last minute heroics for the Mid Iowa Rollers, the last one being a final, clutch, 4 point jam that lifted MIR to a 129-126 squeaker over the CCRG Helldorados on June 10 at the U.S. Cellular Center. 

It is a great privilege to make her the face of IRDD for the next month. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Awww, Lolli. . Congrats!! And well deserved. Great article. . Thanks Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot woot congrats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Tyler! I'm truly honored!

    ReplyDelete