Tuesday, December 21, 2010

IRDD Covergirl Of The Month, January 2011: Lady Bowser of the Muddy River Nightmare


Real Name: Kaelee Bousman
Derby Name: Lady Bowzer
Team: The Muddy River Nightmares
Position: Jammer/Occasional Blocker
Age: 20
Current Town: Clinton, Iowa.
Hometown: Clinton Iowa.
College: Clinton Community College 2nd year (Elementary Education)
Family: Ed (Boyfriend), Margo (Mama), Troy (Dad), Sandy (My amazing Grandma), Matt and Josh (Older Brothers), Sierra (Baby sister), and Gir and Boo (My cats)
Employment: DM Services!


Were you athletic growing up? I’ve been involved in some sort of sport since I was 7 or 8 years old. I’ve played softball (7 to 18 years old), Basketball (middle school), Volleyball (Middle school), ran track (Middle school through senior year) and I ran cross country (All 4 years of High School). I also started bowling when I was 5 or 6 years old (if you would count that as a sport)

How did you get involved in Roller Derby? I heard about a team in Clinton when I was 17, obviously too young to play and still in high school, From the first time I heard about it I thought it would be so cool to play such a badass sport. The following June after I had turned 18 and began dating my boyfriend Ed, his sister Brandi was on the derby team after hearing stories and seeing the bruises, I had to try it out. She invited me to come to practice with her and from that day on I was hooked!

Describe the first time you practiced with a derby team? My first ever practice (actually hitting and what not) was so nerve racking I thought I was going to puke. I was so excited to learn more about this sport but nervous because I knew it was an aggressive/hard hitting sport and I did not want to get hurt. My first practice I was asked by the team captain at the time (Prrrfect Disaster) to try jamming, which I was totally against doing at the time. She finally talked me into trying and that’s been my main position from then on.

How has derby impacted your life? Derby has impacted my life in so many ways; it is a release for me, a way to express myself. Before I joined the derby team, I did not have many female friends, and it has been awesome to meet so many women from all different walks of life, and have something so amazing in common. I have gained a second family in the girls on my team, I’ve also gained great friends from other derby teams. Derby has also taught me that there are many different forms of beauty and that no matter what size or shape you are, you are beautiful and strong! Derby has made me into a stronger and better human being.

What is your favorite aspect of Derby? There are so many aspects of this sport that I absolutely love.
I love the fact that it is a team sport! I would not get anywhere in that pack if it was not for my blockers. I love the fact that I have 10+ women that I can look to for advice and support on and off the track. I love the fact that it is such a competitive sport, but after the bout is over the 2 teams are like sisters, we have a good time together. The screaming of the fans when something exciting happens, and having little girls come up to me and tell me they want to be a derby girl when they get older.

Least favorite? Injuries, I don’t want to get hurt, and don’t want to see any of my teammates hurt, but it is the risk we take to do what we love.

What are your goals for your team this season or next season? My goals for the team, is to just keep working hard and to keep improving. We have come so far in a short amount of time and it is so exciting to be a part of something so amazing. Since we are a relatively new team I can speak for everyone on the team when I say that we want to get our name out there more, and to have more and more people know who we are. There are great things in The Nightmares future and am so glad to be here for it. We’ve only just begun! Sleep with an eye open cause the Muddy River Nightmares are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment