Sunday, August 15, 2010

IRDD Covergirl for August/September: Sum Mo Payne of the Sioux City Roller Dames


Real Name: Melissa Dittberner
Derby Name: Sum Mo Payne
Team: Sioux City Roller Dames
Position: Triple Threat (Jammer/Blocker/Pivot)
Age: 28
Current Town: Gayville, South Dakota
Hometown: Madison, Nebraska
College: University of South Dakota- 3rd year (Substance Abuse Prevention Major)
Family: 2 Kids. Baylee,9 and Boone, 7. (Both are skaters)


Were you athletic growing up? I was a bit, I am really kinda short so my basketball career was limited, but I ran fast, so I thought track was pretty rad.

How did you get involved in Roller Derby? The founder of the Dames just happens to be my heterosexual lifemate. I believe she called me drunkenly and told me she was going to build a team, and I was just starting college and thought what the hell I am already changing my whole life might as well give it a shot and help her out...PS, thank you Liberty PBR Claeys for one of thee most positive changes I have made to date.

How has derby impacted your life? In so many ways, first and for most, I am able to give back to the community, this is the main reason I am involved. Roller derby has shown me who I really am, and by the way I am one tough cookie. I had no idea I could do so many things at one time. Planning special events. Coordinating bouts. Advertising. Scheduling practices. Sometimes being a derby counselor. coaching practice, making a tournament happen to name a few. I have a ton of responsibility in my league and I would never want to let anyone down so that thinking keeps me quiet motivated and I have learned to manage that stress in hip checks and shoulder blocks.

I broke my arm playing derby in 2009, this really showed my how much I love the sport, I was begging to bout in my cast. I don't know if I can say that roller derby saved my soul (as the song states) but it sure makes it happy.

What is your favorite aspect of Derby? I have met some of my favorite people through derby that I would have met no other way and cannot imagine my life now without them.

Least favorite The time I spend behind this damn computer organizing events

What are your goals for your team this season? My goals are huge and I know we can achieve them. The Dames plan on winning the Rolling Along the River tournament in October. The rest is a secret. We have an amazing group of girls this season. We have newbies with heart and soul and we have vets looking better then even and a list of new drills a mile long. Watch out for the Sioux City Roller Dames this season.

Sum Mo Payne of the Sioux City Roller Dames, is building a very formidable Derby resume. Sum Mo Payne, who is a triple threat on the oval, was named Sioux City's team MVP for 2010.

Yet it is the challenge coming up later this month that may be the biggest addition to her derby credentials. Later this month Sum Mo Payne will join with Sioux City teammates PBR and Dubs to skate across the state of South Dakota to raise awareness and money in the fight against MS. The Skate The State Facebook Page is located here.

I asked her about how the event came to be.


How did you ladies decide to do "Skate the State"?
Skating across a state was something a friend and I had talked about long ago. I waited for him to get it started as I was just to busy helping the Dames get rolling. After awhile I thought it was time to put some skates in motion for a good cause. In February,I started talking to the team about it and asking if people were interested. PBR was immediately in and Dubs was right behind her. After that the rest is all history. This event is going to be one for the books. I cannot tell you how humbling it has been to hear all the MS stories there are so many people that are effected by MS in one way or another. I am honored to skate for such a good cause.

Sum Mo Payne is the picture of strong athletics and strong womanhood that personifies the derby ideal. With that in mind, it is my honor to introduce Melissa "Sum Mo Payne" Dittberner as IRDD's Covergirl of the Month for August/September 2010.

13 comments:

  1. I love you Mo!! You def deserve it!!

    Lolli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total BadAss....Love me Sum Mo'
    Malicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome! Go MO! one shot c

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you Mo! I am very lucky to get to skate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to have you as one of my closest friends Mo! I'm so proud of you. You deserve it all!
    ~Skitch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bitch your the BOMB like TiK TiK.... <3 BAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. much love to you all.
    ~Mo Payne

    ReplyDelete
  8. My derby hero! I love everything she does off and on the track!!
    <3
    -bones

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're so beautiful inside and out. I am so glad that roller derby has made it possible for the world to see what I see. <3

    xoxo forver and ever,
    carnage

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was quite intimidated by her at the beginning in all honesty, and now she is one of the greatest people i have met! you are great Mo, and much love to ya!!! <3 PiPPi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mama says GO MO :P You sezzy Beastie!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete